Head of Storage Provider Products & Solutions
Outercore is the division of Protocol Labs that leads technical, business, and community programs to build the future of p2p distributed networks and empower our many communities – from decentralized web developers, to browsers, to blockchain projects, to data storage hosts. Everything Outercore does is open source. We’re comfortable sharing unfinished work and trying out new things. The goal is to come up with solutions the entire ecosystem can benefit from.
About this Position
With more than 4000 storage provider systems distributed across 44 countries and more than 16EiB of raw capacity, Filecoin is the largest decentralized storage network that exists today. The storage providers are the key infrastructure providers running the Filecoin software stack serving storage capacity to the network and hosting the client datasets.
We are looking for a senior leader to grow the Filecoin Storage provider ecosystem that forms the foundation of this network. This position reports into the executive staff of Outercore with P&L responsibilities. In this role you will own the end-to-end responsibility of setting the strategy and execution on expanding an already thriving ecosystem and help productize our software stack to build the next-gen infrastructure layer for Web3.
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs’ mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
The base pay for this position currently ranges from $270,000 to $312,000, plus cryptocurrency, equity, and opportunities for upside through performance rewards in cryptocurrency and equity. The base pay is based on a number of factors and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, experience, skills, abilities, training, and education. We also have a great benefits package, including parental and other forms of leave, contributions to your retirement, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide competitive health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
- Own the global GTM strategy to grow the storage provider ecosystem
- Drive and own the SP product & solutions strategy for tooling and integration with third-party software vendors (e.g. external key managers)
- Manage and grow an existing team of technical product managers, GTM leads, solutions architects and forward deployed engineers
- Manage and create new programs driving increased growth of providers to the network
- Manage and drive collaboration with third-party hardware vendors (e.g. AMD, Seagate)
- Drive and coordinate analysis & assessment of business requirements and translate into service capability and feature requirements.
- Steward solutions engineering teams that support large petabyte-scale deployments
- Build out new teams as needed to achieve adoption objectives
- Steward and leverage network-native development principles and mechanisms to achieve flywheel objectives, such as leaning into ecosystem bounties/grants, outsourced work, public roadmaps, open-source development principles, and more
- Ensure that every user of the PL stack – developers, storage clients, storage providers, retrieval providers, notaries, community governance members, etc. – has an exceptional experience with the stack of storage solutions
- Mentor and grow product and technical leaders within the Outercore organization
- Define and track metrics that demonstrate continuous operational effectiveness and improvement opportunities within your product areas
- Have led product and GTM teams to build complex technical systems at scale
- Have deep understanding of hardware and software instructure (storage, compute, networking) at scale
- Proven track record in managing, developing, deploying, and/or maintaining complex enterprise services, scalable distributed systems, cloud services, business reporting tools, and technologies.
- Have led large product and engineering teams (20+ teammates) in the past, and have had multiple direct reports
- Have worked on or led open-source projects or engineering organizations in the past
- Have experience working with cross-functional stakeholders to align multi-year roadmaps for product/engineering organizations – e.g. company leadership, technical leads, product leads
- Hands-on experience in big data, data management, and business outcomes analysis – interest and ability to roll up sleeves and work along with key architects and engineers in building market-leading decentralized storage services
- Are hyper detail-oriented, extremely organized, and pride yourself on your ability to structure large, ambiguous systems into sensible, tractable ones
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills with a talent for precise articulations of customer problems
- Enjoy working closely with engineering teams, and are able to earn the respect of technical leaders and product leaders alike
- Will do whatever it takes to make your team successful, and are not afraid to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
- Have a computer science, math, or science degree, or software engineering experience
- Product management with crypto projects or networks
- Experience working with and/or contributions to open-source software projects
- Are self-taught in some field, and consider yourself a voracious learner
- 15+ years professional experience